What we do
We work with the community and The Corporation to conserve, protect and enhance air, land and water for present and future generations. We protect public health by providing clean drinking water, safely treating wastewater, protecting air quality and collecting recycling and garbage. We also work to ensure a safe workplace for all City employees.
Summary of services we deliver
We deliver our services through the following business units:
We work with the community and key partners to develop and implement a community greenhouse gas reduction plan and support airshed planning to ensure an environmentally sustainable future. We assess, manage and develop contaminated sites. We make sure The City meets environmental and safety regulations by developing programs and co-ordinating audit and compliance programs.
We deliver collection services for residential garbage, limited commercial garbage, community recycling depots, and residential recycling. We operate The City’s waste management facilities, including active and former landfills. We develop and deliver education programs that support citizens to “Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.” We implement community-based programs like leaf and pumpkin composting, Christmas tree mulching, household chemical drop-off, and electronics and paint recycling.
We manage our water resources and we work with other organizations to protect our watersheds. We design, build, operate and maintain The City’s water, wastewater and drainage systems. We supply quality drinking water, and provide treatment and disposal of wastewater for residential and commercial customers. We provide water and wastewater quality and compliance monitoring. We maintain and repair water, wastewater and drainage infrastructure to safeguard public health, property and the environment.
Net operating budgets
The graph below illustrates the net operating budget (in $ millions) based on tax-supported amounts for each business unit in 2011 and 2012. Budgets for 2013 and 2014 will be reviewed as part of the annual adjustment process.
Below are some of the actions we are taking to deliver key services in the 2012 to 2014 period. More information is available in our 2012–2014 business plans and budgets.
- Engage customers and stakeholders in timely dialogue to improve decision making, demonstrate value, and foster understanding of services to align with citizen and customer expectations.
- Continue to invest in facilities and services that deliver the best value for money to meet current and future needs, and support stable and predictable rates and service levels.
- Work with the community, the region and The Corporation to achieve land, air and water goals to conserve, protect and enhance the environment.
- Employ a full lifecycle approach to the systematic acquisition, operation, maintenance, replacement and disposal of land and assets to maximize economic, environmental and social benefits, manage risks and achieve business goals.
- Foster a safe workplace for all City employees.
Improving how we deliver services
The approved 2012–2014 operating budget calls for more efficient ways to deliver services. Over this three-year period, Utilities & Environmental Protection will achieve the following productivity gains and efficiencies:
- Operational efficiencies related to blue cart collection have generated cost savings resulting in a 19 per cent reduction in blue cart recycling fees for 2012.
- Full implementation of automated black cart garbage collection has resulted in reduced labour costs, cleaner communities and safer work environment for employees.
- Testing bi-weekly garbage collection as part of the green cart food and yard waste pilot.
Incorporating citizens’ input
Examples of how we incorporate citizens’ input in the services we provide include:
- Recommended food and yard waste collection and composting pilot starting in 2012, which will allow the testing of bi-weekly garbage collection.
- Based on Council’s direction, The City is working in collaboration with the private sector to expand recycling services and develop a long-term recycling strategy for multi-family residences (e.g. condos, apartments, etc.).